Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A word about pumpkin rolls...

This past weekend, a passel of junior-senior moms got together to make 180 of these tasty treats as a fundraiser for our after-prom event. And while SOME people might have accused me of socializing a tad too much throughout the two-day baking spree, those that are honest know I did my fair share of measuring, dumping, mixing, flipping, rolling, unrolling, powdered-sugaring, wrapping, labeling AND dishwashing. The only duties I truly shirked were the filling-spreading, the pecan-sprinkling, and the cake baking…but I did not feel my skills were up to those tasks.

And may I just say that these pumpkin-roll-making ladies are perhaps some of the greatest women of all time…well, except for maybe Joan of Arc, Mother Teresa and Florence Nightingale. But still, for modern times, our junior-senior moms are an exceptional group of ladies, with sunny dispositions, warm hearts and (most importantly) willing hands, when it comes to projects such as these.

So I almost feel petty in pointing out the one major flaw of this group. But I’m going to do it anyway. Apparently they are MATHEMATICALLY-CHALLENGED…at least when it comes to bulk recipes and the buying of ingredients. I was able to detect this small problem when we came to the end of the line on Saturday and realized we were 34 pumpkins rolls short of a full load, so to speak. We quickly surmised that if we didn’t fill all of our orders, our reputation in the pumpkin-roll-fundraising-business would suffer greatly. So we decided to meet again on Sunday and whip out the extra rolls. But then our math skills failed us again, because we somehow managed to over-buy on our cans of pumpkin. Unfortunately, we didn’t discover this fact until after we had efficiently OPENED those 40 extra cans of pumpkin. And so that was fun.

And now a word about our basement. Still no staircase…but we did see the whites of the eyes of the carpenter last week, who came by and installed the windows. So now we can’t get into the basement from the outside, but Dave put an extension ladder down the old stairwell, so we were able to climb down and check to see if anyone was living down there. Which I wasn’t worried about until Dave mentioned to me something about the possibility of men sleeping on cots down there. Why would he say that to me? I will never understand that man. But thankfully, we saw no cots and no men. Just a lot of cement and some debris.

And now a brief update on the children.

Emily made the crust for a no-bake jello cheesecake three days ago and has yet to make the filling. Proving once again that the apple does not fall far from the tree. Last night she met with a group of her fellow physics students to “study” but she reported that mostly they just played ping-pong. I guess if physics is the study of objects in motion, this was probably a good study method. Incidentally, my sister plays ping-pong at the YMCA every morning for “exercise”. I took ping-pong in college and even won some tournaments, but never thought of it as more than just a silly game. Oh, how times have changed.

Rachel is still spending most of her spare time at the dance studio, preparing for her role as the Snow Queen. Meanwhile, her adventures with Shark Boy continue. They are “official” now, and while she’s happy with this development, she’s also feeling guilty because he’s in the middle of two-a-days for basketball, and has to attend Nutcracker practices as well. Because did I tell you that Shark Boy is the Snow King? And she’s afraid that he’ll associate her with all this work and the cheesy white and silver costume he has to wear. But he has been a very good sport about the whole thing and so I keep telling her to relax. But relaxing is not her strong suit, poor thing.

David is busy with basketball and organizing his music on his Ipod. He can’t seem to find any of his jackets so he wears this old hoodie of mine everywhere, and even wore it to church Sunday morning. I think he might need some attention from me.

Dave got a haircut and only Emily noticed.

I am wearing blue socks with black pants and hoping no one will notice.

And I had a turkey sandwich and leftover fruit salad for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, there. I should be in bed, but I realized it had been awhile since I read this, so I wanted to catch up. I cannot believe 900 ounces of pumpkin was too much. What did you do with those extra cans? Donna, if you read this, it's not MY fault; I just bought what was on the list! :)

    Randomly, Chuck asked me tonight if "the Kurts" were back. He asked me right after most of his family left and while we were eating supper w/his sister and her family who were still here b/c Andreia took some photos of her daughter (our niece, Andreia's cousin) this afternoon for her senior pictures, and they were editing them. They already had all their stuff loaded to drive home today, but they ended up unloading it and spending the night again b/c of those pictures. So, I guess Chuck is needing a Kurt Fix . . .

    I know the Gunselmans are coming next weekend. If they are okay with it, we'd like to invite you all out Saturday night after the Nutcracker (didn't we do that last year?) If they want you all to themselves, that's perfectly fine, but we'd love to see them (and you) if it works out. So, let me know. And thanks for sharing your life on here; it's very entertaining. Kaitlyn wants to illustrate books as a profession, so if you ever turn this into a book, she would appreciate being considered for the position of illustrator. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Love, Chelle

    ReplyDelete