Thursday, February 18, 2010

Uninteresting Developments

I will probably have to cut this short, since I am heading to parent-teacher conferences in a few minutes. I am making a list of all the things I will NOT miss after emptying my nest, so when I am missing my kids I can pull out that list and dwell on all the positive aspects of being sad and lonely and without kids. And PT conferences will definitely be on that list. It’s not that I don’t like teachers. It’s just that they never have any good snacks there. Usually just some dry cookies and coffee, which I don’t drink. One time they had no snacks AT ALL and when I complained, the principal brought me a package of those honey graham bear things that he had hiding somewhere in his office. Like that was going to appease me.

So I took Emily to an interview last night for a scholarship. She was very nervous and I don’t think I helped much as I bombarded her with the following common sense "tips" right before she went in:

1. Don’t giggle or play with your hair.

2. Don’t start every sentence with the words "Well, um..."

3. Don’t talk about your Uggs or your trip to Paris last summer.

4. Don’t tell them your mom and dad are lawyers.

5. Don’t respond to any statement with the word "cool".

Afterwards she reported that she broke at least two of the above rules AND she didn’t make good eye contact. Bummer. She also went completely blank when asked to name her favorite WWII general...after she told them she was a WWII buff. (We’re lucky she didn’t say James Franco.) But I guess the real low point was when she exclaimed at one point "I LOVE cheerleading!" which is not even true. But all’s well that ends well, because she already got an email telling her she got one of the scholarships. I’m thinking that panel of interviewers took pity on the poor lost child.

So I really do need to go. But before I close, I had a bowl of Cocoa Krispies for lunch at home, but then our bookkeeper had brought a crockpot of chicken soup to work and I had a bowl of that as well. Bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment