Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Um, Meckel's Diverticulum

It’s that time again...yes...time for a poem! I call my new ditty...

ODE TO A MECKEL’S DIVERTICULUM

Early one morning, about half past four,
we were suddenly awakened by a knock at our door.
‘Twas the youngest of our children, little David, he’s called.
He was clearly in distress; we couldn’t help but be appalled.

"I’m sick!" he cried.
"We can tell!" we replied.
And we rushed him to the doctor,
less than 36 hours later.

"Tests! We must run tests!" exclaimed the medical personnel.
But after sticking him with needles, they said, "What he has, we cannot tell."
So they sent him to a surgeon, who said he’d take a look,
but after examination he said, "This boy’s just not text book!"

"Oh no!" we exclaimed.
"It’s okay!" the surgeon explained,
"We’ll still hope it’s an easy fix,
just a simple but pesky appendix."

But as the surgeon wielded his laproscope,
of a simple fix, he gave up hope.
For the appendix was healthy and fine you see,
but the small intestine was constricted, not free.

It was then that he made the fateful decision,
to take his scalpel and make an long incision.
And we’re glad he did, for he found a surprise,
a sight fairly rare, even to an experienced surgeon’s eyes.

He turned to his nurse and said, "I think we have, um,"
"One of those rare Meckel’s Diverticulum."
Then he snipped and he stitched and he repaired the boy,
And after a week, we all went home with joy.

A moral to this story is bound to be sought,
so of course I’ve contrived one, I do that a lot.
If ever you get a pain in your side, and are in a miserable stew,
Just find a doctor, with a sharp scalpel, chances are he’ll know what to do.
 

My news will have to wait. I'm going to a ballgame and I'm late.

But for lunch I had...cheerios, two pieces of mushroom pizza, and half a grapefruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment