Tuesday, August 24, 2010

ANATOMY OF A WEDDING - Part 10 of no more than 12

At this point some of you may be thinking...enough already about Ben and Courtney, let’s talk about Thomas and Betsy. And I admit I’ve been tempted to end this train-wreck of first wedding series with a jaunty, "and they lived happily ever after even though it’s only been two months so far." And this would be quite normal for me because I honestly don’t mind quitting in the middle of a project. In fact, one time I started making a list of my unfinished projects...and never finished it of course. But for whatever reason, I feel a deep and abiding commitment to finish this series properly. So here we go again...

THE OFFICIANT: As I mentioned in an earlier installment (but who among you could possibly remember that far back???) Ben’s brother, Zach, was the officiant at the wedding. I think I started this family tradition almost 23 years ago when my brother Bill presided at my wedding. I don’t remember anything he said, but I’m sure it was humorous, insightful and personal, and probably legal to boot. Zach wore a pink shirt and was the candle lighter in my wedding. And although he was only 9 years old at the time, I think he must have learned a thing or two from his old Uncle Bill. Because we all agreed that his remarks at Ben and Courtney’s wedding were positively eloquent. Of course, right now I can only recall a couple of things he said. One was about how Ben liked to wear girls’ clothes when he was younger, and another was about how Courtney liked to hoard food. Oh, and he referred to my sister (his mother) as the Simon Cowell of weddings, which was a slight exaggeration of course. But in the end, the two were joined in holy matrimony. Or as Luke would have said...their water of singleness was turned into the wine of oneness. And it was all good.

THE VOWS: A final note on the ceremony. The vows Ben and Courtney said to each other were the same ones recited by Ben’s paternal grandparents at their wedding many years ago. Those formal and somewhat solemn vows put a beautiful seal on the otherwise lighthearted tone of the wedding ceremony. They were a gentle reminder to us all that this occasion was not about love songs or pretty dresses or flowers, but about the serious and life changing promises being made by two people to each other.

THE RECESSION: Obviously, I am not referring to the economy here. Not only because we’re discussing a wedding, but also because economics confuse me and therefore I will more than likely never blog about that topic. Anyway, of course I’m referring to the receding of the wedding party back down the aisle. The recession song was How Sweet it is to be Loved by You which was a good choice because who doesn’t like James Taylor? Even though his Steamroller song is of course trashy. But no one’s perfect. And besides, the song actually FORESHADOWED one of the reception elements. Yes, folks. You know, towards the end when it says, "It’s like jelly to the donut" (to be loved by you)...well, guess what they served at the reception? Coincidence? I think not.

So now I must close because I am saving The Reception for Part 11...and then The Wrap-Up for Part 12. Following those posts, I will of course be catching you up with the family doings, including the scintillating details of Emily’s departure. Which was a piece of cake. Seriously. I haven’t cried at all...and now I’m wondering if I’m even human. But that post will have to wait.

I had T&WT for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment