Monday, September 28, 2009

Hello.

So the girls and I went to OKC this weekend for fall visit at OC. We left after the game Friday night so Emily could take the history scholarship test scheduled for Saturday morning. The girls insisted they would stay awake WORKING IN SHIFTS IF NEED BE to keep me awake for the five hour drive. We left at 9:45 p.m. They were both sound asleep by 11 p.m. So a seriously cheesy book-on-tape was forced to keep me awake, and us alive.

On the plus side, I had my GPS up and running and noticed that randomly the map would show a designation of "United States of America". So at least while I was driving through the back roads of Oklahoma and Kansas trying to stay awake, I could be confident that I hadn’t veered off into Canada or Mexico.

As for the scholarship test, we had high hopes early on when my niece Mary called to say Emily was the only one who went in to take the history test. But our excitement was short-lived. A short while later Mary called to report that another four kids showed up for the test. Rats. And then still later, Emily calls and informs me that she only knew the answers to 3 of the 50 questions AND one of her fellow test-takers looked really, really smart. Sure enough, the smart looking guy got the scholarship and Emily got nothing. Plus she lost a sweater (we think the waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings might have taken it) so we really came out behind.

And speaking of Buffalo Wild Wings, has this ever happened to you? We had lunch there Sunday and due to a mix-up with the orders, I didn’t get my food when everyone else did. So the waitress apologizes, and brings me a big dish of CELERY and actually says to me...I’m sorry for the mix-up but I’ve brought you extra CELERY to make up for it. I thought surely she must be joking. But no, she was serious. I’m pretty sure that place won’t be in business long.

So then we are heading home from OKC, and by now I’m sort of into this cheesy book-on-tape and would like to finish it, but no. The girls are doing homework and can’t concentrate with my book playing. So Emily offers to read aloud to me from her book but it’s Schindler’s List and I’d already had a depressing enough weekend, what with the lost scholarship and the celery caper. So then I had to listen to Rachel read a story to me in Spanish, which was mercifully short. And finally it got dark, and they drifted off to sleep again, because that’s what they do in cars, and I was once again alone with the cheesy tape. And we made it home safe and sound.

I don’t have much on Dave and David since they stayed home this weekend and apparently stayed out of trouble.

And I had some peach yogurt, and salsa and chips for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment