Monday, December 21, 2009

Blizzards and other Very Bad News

Have I mentioned that my sisters, their husbands, and a nice assortment of my nieces and nephews are supposed to arrive at my doorstep on Wednesday to spend Christmas with us? That’s the plan anyway, but guess what the weatherman is promising this week for our little neck of the plains? No, not just a pesky run-of-the-mill winter storm, but an honest to goodness BLIZZARD. What’s up with that? So this is of course VERY BAD NEWS. I mean I know my relatives can be intrepid...because I’ve seen them trudge fearlessly through a red cell just to get to the next gorilla cage at a zoo. But I’m guessing they won’t be like Pa on Little House and craft their own snowshoes and trudge through the blowing snow to get here. Fortunately, I haven’t bothered to bake or cook one thing in anticipation of their coming, so you don’t have to worry that my efforts will be wasted, should said blizzard actually keep said family away.

And I have other bad news. When we decided to dig a basement under our house, I didn’t think about the fact that all my kids could have all their friends over at the same time. So yes, I had a bit of a dilemma last night. I had a pack of middle-schoolers playing in the new basement AND a pack of high-schoolers watching a movie in the living room. As if that weren’t worrisome enough, my husband chose that time to do "home repairs" in the upstairs bathroom. For the life of me, I couldn’t decide where my hovering was needed most. So I mostly sat in the kitchen looking through an atlas and planning our next vacation. And then I went to bed.

And I had more broccoli soup for lunch and a clementine.

No comments:

Post a Comment