Thursday, December 17, 2009

Decisions, Decisions.

I’ve just realized that I haven’t updated you on the status of the basement project in awhile. I hope you will forgive this oversight. First, yes Virginia, we have a staircase! And it’s quite lovely, even in its rough, unfinished state. The only real drawback to said staircase is that now when Dave calls to me at all hours of the day to "come have a look" at this or that feature of our new basement, I have no excuse to say no. So I’ve been dutifully climbing up and down the staircase and admiring all the underpinnings of our house with Dave, because that’s what a good wife should do, right? But I don’t like it one bit.

Do not be deceived. The project is far from finished. Fidel has yet to "seal the foundation" which apparently is important because during our last cold snap we had frozen pipes in our kitchen AND laundry room, thanks to said pipes being exposed. And that was a tad inconvenient, because while I love an enforced break from washing dishes and clothes (just like the next person), we all kept eating and wearing clothes so the dirty items piled up. Needless to say, I’m ready for the project to proceed. But the same cold weather that’s doing a number on our pipes, is supposedly keeping Fidel from being able to finish. So it’s a conundrum. (Just wanted to use that word.)

On a more positive note, Fidel told us we could start putting stuff in the basement if we wanted. IF WE WANTED??? So of course I immediately started sending box after box of useless, broken and in-the-way stuff down those stairs with any kid who looked un-busy. And they love that of course. Any normal person would have sorted through the stuff first, but not me. I just wanted my piles of junk out-of-sight and out-of-mind. I wish I could say that all this transfer of stuff to the basement has made a difference in the state of my house, but the more stuff I send down, the more stuff I find. I’m thinking I might have a problem. But for the time being, at least until after Christmas, I’m going to stay in denial.

So how about a brief update on the family?

Emily is sorely trying my patience these days. Yesterday I caught her running up the stairs EMPTY-HANDED even though a boatload of stuff was sitting on said stairs to be taken upstairs. Then late last night, she asks me if we have Velveeta and Rotel because she’s volunteered to make dip for her class, and of course I have the Rotel but no cheese, meaning I’m the one that gets to make and take the dip to her class this morning. Finally, and most annoying, she’s taken to being kind of sweet to me lately. Like I got an email from her yesterday thanking me for something or other. I mean, she knows I’m an emotional basket case, so why would she do that to me?

As for dear little Rachel, we celebrated her 17th birthday earlier this week. It seems like just yesterday that I was holding her in that hospital room for the first time, with those nurses showing and telling me about the big bruise on her head, which turned out to be a birthmark and not a bruise at all, proving once and for all that you can’t really believe anything medical people tell you. But I digress. The birthday party was typical for her...just the family (well, plus the Snow Prince/boyfriend) and a store-bought cake and too many presents...all because her birthday happens to be in December when I am too busy doing too many other things to really concentrate. But she is always (or usually) a good sport about it, and this year was no exception.

David came home earlier this week and told me he’d had a very bad day. I asked all the right questions: Was he in trouble? Did his girlfriend break up with him? Did he get demoted to the b-team? But the answers were no, no and no. In fact, he couldn’t come up with any specifics. Then last night, when we sat down to a supper of roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, salad and bread, he asked if he could fix himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. He said, "Why don’t we ever just have regular food around here?" Who knew that 14-year-old boys could be this much trouble?

Dave continues to toil away trying to please me with this whole house project, bless his heart. Like that can be done. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not him, it’s me. I just do not have it in me to make decisions about stuff and I don’t trust my opinion on anything. Like yesterday, he gets a guy to come to the house to talk about kitchen renovations. And I agree to be present, in the house anyway, but not necessarily in the same room with them, which I’m sure this contractor found odd. But I didn’t care. And beside, I was busy putting bows on Christmas presents. At one point, they called to me and asked where I wanted my refrigerator and stove, and I about came unglued. But the crisis passed, and I’m sure whatever they decided will be fine.

So this is three days in a row for my blog. A personal best.

And I haven’t decided what I’m having for lunch yet, but I’m thinking of a roast beef sandwich, with the leftovers from last night. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment