Thursday, March 11, 2010

YOU KNOW WE'LL HAVE A GOOD TIME THEN...

Earlier this week, I went upstairs to tell David goodnight, and since I hadn’t seen him much that day I stayed for a little chat, just like June Cleaver would. And this particular night he was MR. CHATTY. And for awhile he was quite diverting, but at some point the conversation veered away from his social life and that’s where he always seems to lose me. So I started inching towards the door (I’m done being June Cleaver)...and I thought I was being so surreptitious...but then he says to me, "You’re not a very good listener, Mom." Busted. And I can’t argue with him, because he’s right.

So then I spent the rest of the night feeling bad, and humming that "Cats in the Cradle" song under my breath. You know, the one by Harry Chapin where the dad is too busy for the son and after the son is grown up, he is too busy for the dad. I don’t want that to happen to me so I going to try to do better by David and listen intently to his detailed accounts of the funny shows and You Tube videos that he watches. From now on. And I’m blogging about it so I won’t forget.

Incidentally, I once saw Harry Chapin in concert and I don’t know too many people who can say that. My brother-in-law Dave took me, which is neither here nor there, but I mention it because Dave reads my blog faithfully and deserves a shout-out occasionally. And that reminds me that I got this brochure in the mail today from a law firm and in large letters on the front, they MISSPELLED the word "occasionally" and I can’t decide if I should drop them a note pointing that out. What would you do?

Okay, I’m rambling I know. And I need to get home.

Once again, a lady in my office offered me some of her lunch...chicken fried rice this time...and I couldn’t refuse. And it was delicious. I also had some blueberry yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment