Saturday, March 27, 2010

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY AND I'LL BLOG IF I WANT TO

I have been trying to blog for lo these many days, but everything has conspired against me. Mainly that silly job of mine. But today is my 52nd birthday so I get to do anything I want, and oddly enough, what I want to do is blog. So here I am.

And it’s been quite a day so far, not only because I had to contend with all the usual birthday issues, but also because tonight is the big PROM. And we all know the agony and ecstasy associated with that glorious event. I love all the hoopla, but I could do without the panicky moments. Like that time the hairdresser ran late. Or that time the big sequins kept dropping off Emily’s dress faster than I could sew them back on. And of course, we’ll never forget the nail fiasco of ‘08.

But the whole thing is a little like child birth...you know how once you’re holding that sweet little thing in your arms, you somehow forget all the pain, or at least some of it. So when I beheld those sweet young things in their big frothy dresses, with their up-dos, and their freshly french-tipped nails, I just somehow forgot all the pain of the preparations...and all that Lamaze (sp?) breathing I’ve had to do, or at least some of it.

Of course this year we did have everything pretty much on track. The dresses, shoes, jewelry, hair, nails, flowers, limo, and last, but not least, THE DATES. All of the elements were aligned and ready for a perfect night, just like so many stars in a constellation on a clear summer night. And yes, you read right. Emily finally got her date. I never could get her to ask someone...she just wanted to be asked. And her patience paid off because a truly nice senior finally asked her...only a little last minute...and she was only a tiny bit pathetic in her eagerness to say yes.

But I can’t finish my Prom saga right now, or even tell you all my birthday news...because I’m on my way to the after prom party where Dave and I are working the money-blower machine until 4 a.m. tomorrow morning. That’s where I get to spend the rest of my birthday and there’s no where else I’d rather be, except maybe home in bed where all 52-year-old mothers belong in the wee hours of the morning. But the consolation prize is that I get to watch those kids having fun. And there are usually some pretty good snacks.

So I’ll try to get back to some regular blogging this coming week. Oh, and I had two bierocks for lunch today. My friend Angela brought me two bags of them for my birthday, and I wasn’t kidding when I told her that it was one of the best birthday present I’ve ever received! I really am sorry I harassed her so much about them last summer. But look how it paid off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment