Thursday, May 20, 2010

ETIQUETTE QUANDARIES

On Wednesday nights, I teach the baby class at church. It’s the perfect fit for me because I like students who don’t talk back and who don’t go home and tell their parents anything weird that I said or did. One week I noticed halfway through class that the zipper on my skirt was down, and not one of those babies laughed or said anything about it. They just smiled goofily at me, and drooled a bit. And I get to make up songs and it doesn’t matter if they don’t make sense. And I sing them to the same tune because no really cares about variety in the cradle roll. But last night it was a bit of a problem because I’d been singing the same tune for so long that I couldn’t remember how Jesus Loves Me goes. Pretty sad. But no one in my class seemed to mind.

I have to tell you about my lovely neighbors. We didn’t send any of them graduation invitations because we don’t socialize with them and Emily doesn’t know them well at all. But two of them have given her cards, and one gave her a nice check with it. So now I feel guilty about not sending them invitations. But if I’d sent them invitations, I would have worried that they were giving her something out of a sense of obligation, so really I guess it’s nicer that I didn’t send them invitations and now I can just appreciate their incredible thoughtfulness, right? I’m so confused.

Before Rachel left for school this morning, she practiced her violin. She has a new teacher because her old one said he had nothing left to teach her. This new lady has her doctorate in something...probably music but we haven’t asked for specifics. Anyway, she has inspired Rachel to practice more and I will tell you that I like it. I like waking up to that sound, even when she’s not hitting those notes just right.

I haven’t had lunch yet today, but I imagine I’ll eat with Emily somewhere because we’re headed out for some last minute shopping. Probably Mexican...but we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment