Friday, May 28, 2010

THE WOMAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

I am still reflecting on the graduation weekend, and I hope you'll forgive me for returning to that subject now and again. Today, I was thinking about the kids in Emily’s class being the hope for our future, and became a bit concerned. Probably because I know them better than students of previous years. Take that guy who ran around during extremely cold football games wearing only a cape and shorts, and covered with blue and red paint. Can he be trusted to diagnose illnesses and perform surgeries? And how about that guy who strutted across the stage during the Mr. HHS contest in a circa 1970 basketball uniform? Do we really want him out there protecting our forests? Then there’s my daughter. I’m not sure a girl who can’t tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage should be instructing your children on the evils of the Nazi regime. It wouldn’t bother me if any of these graduates became lawyers, or even used car salesmen. Our world might still be safe. But doctors, nurses, engineers? Yeah...scary.

I took David shopping yesterday. For the ONE month he will be playing baseball, he needed cleats, socks, pants, and some batting gloves. Then we found a jacket and some sweet Stan Smith Adidas shoes which were both on clearance, so we had to have them. Finally, he decided to spend his own money on some Converse high tops. I’m not sure if those are still cool, but he doesn’t seem to care. And he admitted that he felt like a girl walking out of the store with three new pairs of shoes. I felt like I was buying for a girl after spending $280 on the kid. I used to think he was less high maintenance than the girls but not anymore.

He tried his new gear out at his first game last night, and did well so I guess we bought the right stuff. We were at the ballpark from 6 to 10:30 p.m., because he played both the A and B games. Brutal. But actually not. I enjoyed most of it, especially when this cute guy came over and sat and talked to Emily and I got to hear her tell him two interesting things. First they were talking about her pickup and she told him, and I quote, "The heat works and the air conditioner works, but they won’t work at the same time." Hmmm. Then they were talking about jobs and she said she wouldn’t want to work at a bank "because she might accidently steal some money." Shortly afterwards, the guy made some excuse and left.

Rachel has agreed to be my personal trainer this summer. She is arranging a place in the basement for us to work out. We will start with Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. Her choice. I will keep you posted on our progress.

The girls and I went back to the new Chinese place for lunch. The crab rangoon is reportly delicious, but I don't like crab rangoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment