Monday, May 10, 2010

A SMALL ERROR IN JUDGMENT

The middle school league track meet was this past Saturday, so we headed out to watch David triple jump in the morning (three scratches, by the way). Then we decided to run into the nearby "big city" to eat lunch and do some shopping before his races which were last on the schedule. We had lunch with some friends at a nice Chinese place and after we ate the waitress informed us that a man had paid our bill and the tip as well. She gave us his name and the weird thing was that none of us knew him, and since he had already left the restaurant, we’re still not sure what that was about. Dave figured it might be a past acquaintance that he’d completely forgotten. Because he tends to do that. But surely we would have recognized the name. So maybe it was just one of those random acts of kindness? Either way, we were obviously happy campers.

Next we went shopping for something for me to wear for Emily’s graduation. I always make the mistake of letting the girls pick some stuff out for me. And I probably should have been depressed after the scene in that dressing room, where I would try things on and those girls would LITERALLY fall to the floor laughing. But I’m just happy to provide them with the entertainment. Fortunately I found a few things that didn’t amuse them, so that’s what I bought. I’m pretty sure I’m going to look good, but it’s hard to be sure.

Our next stop was Target, where we basically sat in the snack bar visiting amongst ourselves because we had nothing better to do. This was actually quite enjoyable because we’d never done that before...and people came and went that we knew so we chatted them up...and Emily got a half-price Frappacino from Starbucks (we don’t know why)...and then we had some of their so-so pretzels. Finally, we roused ourselves and meandered through some of the aisles where I found and bought some stuff I don’t need off those clearance end caps, and the girls wandered away to find me some awesome Mother’s Day presents (a new Michael Buble CD and the BBC’s Emma).

Then, even though it was earlier than we thought David might run, Dave decided it was time to head back to the track meet because he gets antsy that way. So we headed back and as we approached the field, we noticed that the stands were half-empty, and that’s when I knew we were in trouble. Sure enough, David had already run his 800 (where he placed 5th, by the way) and was actually ON THE TRACK stretching and getting ready to run his leg of the 4x400. HOW EMBARRASSING. So we watched this last race (which they won, by the way, clinching the League title, by the way) and then we met up with the poor guy and groveled for awhile.
Then we headed back into the big city where we let him pick the restaurant for supper AND took him to a movie. And I think he forgave us.

I had a hamburger happy meal for lunch today. David called and asked me to take him out, and what was I going to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment