Sunday, May 30, 2010

GETTING BACK ON THE HORSE

As a blogger, I fancy myself to be a writer, and sometimes others make the mistake of thinking I am one as well. Take my nephew Ben for example. He recently asked me to write a few lines for something he’s doing at his rehearsal dinner. I was flattered of course, and promptly prepared a little something which I thought was brilliant, bordering on genius really. Here are some sample lines so you can judge for yourself:

“At Ben and Courtney's wedding, we want you to have fun. And while we can't promise you more popularity or better hair by being at the wedding, we can promise you a good time.”

See…pretty good, eh? Anyway, so it may be hard for you to believe that shortly after I forwarded my masterpiece to Ben, I received an extremely polite email back from him that said, in essence, that they (he and Courtney) were…well…going in a different direction. I’m sure it pained him to tell me this, since he is just about the nicest guy in the world, and wouldn’t hurt a fly. Okay, maybe he’d hurt a fly, but definitely not his beloved Aunt Shelley. He needn’t have worried though. Even wannabe writers like me are often misunderstood, and know how to handle rejection. I just started thinking about how I could turn this little story into a blog post. Yeah, I got right back on the horse.

For lunch today, I had tortilla casserole, chicken casserole, lasagna, green beans, corn, baked beans, rice/carrot dish, fruit salad, jello salad, pasta salad, potato salad, German chocolate cake, half a no-bake cookie (they were made with peanut butter and I like them without), watermelon, a strawberry, a blackberry, and iced tea. I can never make up my mind at church potlucks…so I just have a little of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment