Saturday, May 29, 2010

SLIGHTING AMADEUS

We went to Rachel’s official violin "recital" last night. That other event where David acted up was just a concert, but this was where the students played solos and then some ensembles played. It was all strings, and lasted a little over two hours, so I was pleasantly surprised when David didn’t act overly boorish. He did add up the songs listed on the program (29) and then occasionally updated us on the statistical progress of the recital (10 down, 19 to go, etc., etc.). But since I do that myself, I couldn’t really blame him.

And I guess I should have scolded him when after hearing several of the younger musicians play Twinkle, Twinkle, he remarked about his excitement that the next musician’s piece was "Twinkle Variations". But indeed, I felt the same way. Finally, towards the end of the recital, he wrote me a note complaining about the lack of legitimate Mozart pieces being performed (other than Twinkle of course) and calling Leopold Mozart, who wrote another song on the program, a "poser". But I couldn’t really blame him for that because I’ve never heard of this Leopold either.

I have much more to say, but I have to go to a cookout. The invitation came earlier today...by text message to Dave. And the whole family got all excited, because we wouldn't have to cook of course. But since Dave never programs numbers into his phone, we didn't know who had issued the invitation. And it seemed rude to say...OF COURSE WE'LL COME, BUT WHO IS THIS? So we all scurried about and eventually we found the number in my phone...and texted back YES...because not only do we love this family, but they always fix GREAT food too. Bonus.

The whole thing kind of reminded me of the early days of our marriage, when Dave and I would get home from work and kind of putter around the house, hoping my sister or mother would call and invite us to dinner. More often than not, the phone would ring and even before answering, we would do a little jig and start singing...There’s the Invitation. You know, from that old church song where the chorus goes, "Hear the invitation, come whosoever will". Maybe you had to be there.

I had two homemade tamales for lunch, which I found in my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment