Wednesday, May 26, 2010

FAMILY CIRCUS - PART ONE

She walked across the stage, took her diploma, and never looked back.

Sorry. Just wanted to experiment with a different kind of first line, suggested to me by my brother-in-law Dave. I’ll go back to my ramshackle style now. It feels much more comfortable.

So...yes! We graduated! I have to say WE, not only because I’m an admitted hovercraft mom, but also because, let’s face it, I was the one that made all this possible. I was the one that signed that dreaded agenda every day. I ran her cheer shoes up to the school when she forgot them. And I whipped up those orange juliuses for her classes every time she asked. Okay, almost every time, but that’s not important. The important thing is that she did walk across that stage, she did receive her blank diploma holder, and she did spray silly string all over her fellow graduates. And I would like to tell you how beautiful she looked while doing all these things, but does anyone really look their best in those ill-fitting gowns with those odd caps perched upon their heads?

But as graduation ceremonies go, it was a fine specimen, with all the usual trappings. The funny and poignant speeches, the sappy songs sung by seniors (say that three times fast), and the plethora of proud-looking parents and grandparents. Of course, in our case, the proud ones were her 28 aunts, uncles, and cousins, rather than her grandparents. But while I did miss my parents that day, I must say I felt truly blessed with the support we had for this weekend.

One final note on the actual ceremony. There were some touching moments, but I never cried. Even when Emily brought me the flower and hugged me. Odd, I know. If I didn’t know better, I’d think someone had slipped an anti-depressant into my drink at breakfast. But I don’t think I ate breakfast, so maybe I’ve just mastered my emotions through incredible mental discipline and control. Or maybe, just maybe, I didn’t cry because my skirt kept sticking to my legs every time I stood up, and that was a distraction. And I should just be thankful for that hot gym.

And now for a report on the celebrations. The family started trickling in Friday afternoon and didn’t stop until nearly midnight when my niece Meagan arrived, direct from Zambia. Seriously. Needless to say, she took the prize for traveling the furthest. And by the way, she’s home for good now. Well, at least for a year...but we can always dream, can’t we?

Other friends stopped by as well, including Emily’s kindergarten teacher who brought her a SWEET handmade denim quilt. Apparently she was an exceptional kindergartner. Okay, not really. The teacher is also a family friend and just all-around nice lady.

Emily’s "official" reception was Friday night with three of her friends. And it was a fine reception, even though her table and her mother were a bit underdressed for the occasion. But Emily didn’t stress over it, so neither did I. But I did hum the old "one of these things is not like the others" several times.

As for the rest of the weekend, it was the usual family circus. We didn’t get much card-playing done, but we did some street-walking which everyone always seems to enjoy. We also ate on the front lawn because our air-conditioning is unhooked thanks to the basement project. And of course we haven’t needed it yet this spring, until this particular weekend when I just happened to have 33 warm bodies to entertain at the house. And our back yard is still a dirt-packed mess from the basement project as well, so we couldn’t escape back there. Which left only the front lawn, and since we live on Main Street, it was pretty much a spectacle.

Finally, lest you think the weekend was idyllic, let me assure you it had its dark side. Caused by two eating establishments in town. My family always enjoys an outing or two to our local coffee shop, so they all met down there early Saturday morning only to be greeted by a sign on the door that read "Closed for Graduation." Rude. Then on Sunday, we all traipsed down to our local Mexican eatery, where we spent close to an hour and a half waiting for our food. Double-rude. And inconvenient for me because now, on principle, I have to boycott the place for at least a few weeks because they didn’t offer us anything free to make up for the wait. My family always always always responds well to free dessert, so it was the least they could have done.

I have more, including a list of injuries sustained by my family while they were visiting for the graduation. This should be fascinating reading for you medical personnel, but it will have to wait because I am behind at work. I had a barbecue sandwich and chips for lunch today, brought to me by Rachel because school is out and she has such a servant heart. Or maybe because I told her to bring me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment