Friday, May 14, 2010

I FIND MYSELF YEARNING FOR THE SEA...THE SEA...

Yesterday morning, Dave and I drove an hour and a half to the middle school league music festival to hear David sing. And we made it on time and feel much better about ourselves as parents now. He sang a solo and it was about the sea. If you’ve ever heard your 14-year-old son sing kind of sweetly about yearning for the sea, then you can imagine how I felt yesterday. It was one of those good moments...which almost made me forget that earlier in the hall, he was flitting around between groups of people, and doing some kind of "trust fall" thing where he usually ended up sprawled on the floor. Apparently, he shouldn't have trusted some of those people. His accompanist is a friend of mine, and I asked her later if he was trouble all day, and she said no but she also smiled mysteriously at me, and I think I saw pity in her eyes.

So I guess it’s time to dust off the old cleaning supplies (literally) and get the house ready for this graduation. I’m pretty sure the reason those supplies get so dusty is because of the extremely dry climate around here, and not because of disuse. Although I was talking to our preacher’s wife a couple of weeks ago and asked her about this unsightly red mark on her finger, and she said it was a blood blister from scrubbing something or other. I was duly impressed...because I couldn’t remember EVER sustaining a cleaning injury in my life. And that’s probably why my house looks like it does.

In other graduation related news, the Senior Girls’ Tea did not make me cry even though the girls tried their best with that moronic song "There You’ll Be". Seriously, does any mother need to hear these kinds of lyrics just before graduation? (I’ll keep a part of you with me? In my heart there’ll always be a place for you?) I know I don’t. So I only focused on the words for a few seconds, and then I spent the rest of the time wondering what kind of cookies they were serving. It worked. We took pictures afterwards...and I notice I have kind of a blank stare thing going on. But I didn’t cry.

Dave got up at 5 this morning and went downstairs to start his morning ritual. Normally he gets up at 6, but he inadvertently set his clock an hour ahead. He didn’t notice that he was ahead of the game for some time, and by then it was too late to go back to bed. So he got a lot done this morning.

I had a turkey sandwich at our coffee shop for lunch. I ordered sour dough bread but they brought me plain white bread and this was a real food disappointment for me. I ate it anyway. The girls and I met some friends there and I didn’t want to cause a scene. Not that I ever do cause scenes...but there’s always a first time for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment